[Yomi] Forums Quick Matches - Sign Ups Always Open!

Sorry, I should’ve done this earlier, but it’s hard for me to fit these in my schedule right now! Please deactivate my access to this particular yomise for the time being! @vengefulpickle, this is a cool thing, so thanks for starting it up & I hope I’ll be back! :smiley_cat:

Sure, will do.

1 Like

If it’s not too late mark me inactive too please @vengefulpickle

If I’m too late with this and you have already made the schedule for the coming week when you read this, that’s okay. I’ll play this week and then go inactive for a while. Thanks.

No, the week starts on Tuesday, so you’re good. Basically, anything before I post the new set is fair game

2 Likes

FaceOnMars vs @NobodysHero

:gwen: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie:
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie:
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie:
:gwen: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:

Gwen said I’ve been spending too much time with DeGrey lately.

Welcome to the community. Fresh faces and/or victims always welcome.

4 Likes

Week 8 standings

Silver League (10+ :star:)

Player Points Active
flagrantangles :star::star: :psfist:

SuperBronze League (5+ :star:)

Player Points Active
Niijima-san :star::star::star: :psfist:
Zqxx :star::star: :psfist:
TokH :star: :psfist:
Ivan :psfist:

Bronze League (0+ :star:)

Player Points Active
snoc :star::star::star::star: :psfist:
JonnyD :star::star: :psfist:
FaceOnMars :star: :psfist:
thehug0naut :star: :psfist:
vengefulpickle :star: :psfist:
Castanietzsche :star: :knockdown:
ArthurWynne :psfist:
MR75 :psfist:
NobodysHero :psfist:
Attilian :knockdown:
FenixOfTheAshes :knockdown:
Hobusu :knockdown:
variable :knockdown:

Week 8 matches

NobodysHero/Niijima-san
NobodysHero ─┐
             ├─
Niijima-san ─┘
thehug0naut/vengefulpickle
thehug0naut ━━━━┓
                ┡━ thehug0naut ────┐
Hobusu ─────────┘                  │
                                   ├─
vengefulpickle ━┓                  │
                ┡━ vengefulpickle ─┘
ArthurWynne ────┘
Zqxx/snoc
Hobusu ─────────┐
                ┢━ snoc ━━━━━┓
snoc ━━━━━━━━━━━┛            ┃
                             ┡━ snoc ─┐
variable ━━━━━━━┓            │        │
                ┡━ variable ─┘        │
MR75 ───────────┘                     │
                                      ┢━ Zqxx ━┓
Zqxx ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛        ┃
                                               ┡━ Zqxx ─┐
vengefulpickle ─┐                              │        │
                ┢━ Attilian ───────────────────┘        │
Attilian ━━━━━━━┛                                       │
                                                        ├─
variable ━━━━━━━┓                                       │
                ┡━ variable ─┐                          │
TokH ───────────┘            │                          │
                             ┢━ snoc ───────────────────┘
snoc ━━━━━━━━━━━┓            ┃
                ┡━ snoc ━━━━━┛
ArthurWynne ────┘
MR75/ArthurWynne
MR75 ────────┐
             ├─
ArthurWynne ─┘
TokH/FaceOnMars
TokH ━━━━━━━━┓
             ┡━ TokH ───────┐
Hobusu ──────┘              │
                            ├─
NobodysHero ─┐              │
             ┢━ FaceOnMars ─┘
FaceOnMars ━━┛
flagrantangles/Ivan
flagrantangles ─┐
                ├─
Ivan ───────────┘

EDIT: I just found a fun bug in my scripts that wasn’t calculating tournament rounds correctly during matching when someone had been given a bye. So, the Zqxx/snoc bracket looks especially funky this week.

EDIT 2: I forgot (again) that @Hobusu had to bow out this week. @JonnyD, let me know if you want to sub into my spot, or just wait to get matched again next week.

2 Likes

I’ll wait.

if Jonny wants in, I’ll tag myself in too.

2 Likes

I’m open to fighting you if that’s cool with @vengefulpickle

1 Like

Absolutely. I’ll update the list.

2 Likes

@JonnyD vs @Caralad

:zane::psfist::pschip::degrey: - SILENT ANARCHYYYYYYY undercuts K.
:zane::psfist::pschip::troq: - I won combat at the right moments.
:zane::pschip::psfist::troq: - I lost combat in the wrong moments.
:jaina::psfist::pschip::troq: - I played Ace a lot and undercut Q with AA. and then it was checkmate.

JonnyD wins 3-1! GGs dude. Thanks for the games and being super easy to schedule with.

6 Likes

@vengefulpickle 3-2 @thehug0naut

:persephone::psfist::pschip::grave:
:persephone::pschip::psfist::grave:
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::grave:
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::grave:
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::grave:

Super fun set! Surgical strikes were blocked, TPoS were disrespected, Setsuki blocked and played strange because of awkward hands. Good times!

5 Likes

Eh, can I jump in? I’m west coast and prefer afternoons and evenings. I’ll admit the v3 wishlist thread gave me some hunger

5 Likes

flagrantangles wins 3-2 vs @Ivan
:quince::pschip::psfist::rook: I got an amazing lead in this game. Starting off with plenty of spins was very helpful. All the while, however, Ivan was biding his time and gathering ACES. I’m at 76 life or so against his ~20. I tax throws and then play the K I revealed for Positive Spin. He plays CMB. Turns out 3 cards aren’t sufficient for that trade. :open_mouth: After that, we play some Ace games but he murders me by playing the last Stone Wall against my Consent of the Governed.
:valerie::pschip::psfist::rook: He throws me a lot in the early game and it hurts all of my bones. I start staging a comeback but it’s rocky and difficult since I’ve got a hand full of throws and not much else. I manage to land a normal string into a bluff and it deals plenty of damage and gives me ACES. I play conservatively with them and that’s not quite right so I up the aggression, all the time worried about AA. I manage to navigate to the endgame with a couple of good reads. For my final combat, I was thinking either attack or dodge to beat the K/AA I was suspicious of. I played the attack and get murdered by VINES.
:geiger::psfist::pschip::rook: I start off with an utterly nonsensical hand of 7JQKAA! I stumble a bit in the early game but manage to keep chipping life away and doing the WORK. We’re both low on life and I’m throw starved. I’m feeling a bit hopeless and swinging a bit. I tried to block during TD but get thrown by a 10! After that I chuck out the King I topdecked. He stonewalls it. I’m now at 3 life. I decide I have nothing left to lose so I play Cycloid Revolution and pump it once into a bluff for lethal.
:geiger::psfist::pschip::degrey: We block and build up giant hands. It’s scary but I’m feeling okay since I’m loaded with face cards and a joker. Ivan gets me down to 35 life before I manage to do actual damage to him. I keep threatening Cycloid but not playing it and Ivan disrespects it accordingly. Whenever I have him knocked down, he plays King at me and I don’t seem to learn. :open_mouth: Eventually I just chuck out a fully powered Cycloid Revolution in neutral and deal 40 damage to him. Now I’m back in the game, mentally! He plays Troublesome Rhetoric on attacks and now I have to be right or DIE. I attack with a 5 into PCP and then top deck the 6 off normal draw to go into 67J and pick up an Ace. I then power up Queens and get another Ace to threaten Cycloid Revolution some more. I immediately 9-throw his 10 block and knock him down. He puts up the TR on attacks again. I contemplate throwing, but I decide to dodge his block. He powers up for an Ace and I find my first R&D which I immediately use. I find TD and use it to pull back a J. It was unnecessary but sometimes I like to be EXTRA. After that, I just play Cycloid and kill him outright. Aces are good, y’all. Also, Rykerball is hella fun.
:geiger::psfist::pschip::degrey: I lead with some pokes rather than blocks this time so I can try to build a hand but still have fewer cards than DeGrey. He powers up for a dodge early and plays it. I happen to SNATCH it with a 10-throw into 6J. Next turn, I throw his regular dodge into 5J and now I’ve build a nice lead. We each play a King and without MHG, I’d say Flash Gear is the clear winner. While he’s KD, I put up TD and try to cross up. He sticks to his patented strat of just playing Kings. I put TD back up and snatch another J. I BLOCK this time and avoid the next K. I technically have lethal if he doesn’t have a joker and I throw. I contemplate doing so and then just play a K. Good thing since he sniffed my throw possibilities and played Pilebunker. I power up for Cycloid He’s KD at 27 life and I realize that 6 crossup into TSH will kill him regardless of jokers and I figure since he knows I have TSH/CR he will try to block Cycloid. I am incorrect. He just hits my greedy 6 attack with Final Arbiter. I decide to just play CR and outspeed his Pilebunker. He facedowns a card and I play the 3rd Ace. It was a joker so he survives with 7 life. He calls TR on attacks. I win by 10-throwing the Ace dodge for lethal. Feels good.

GGs Ivan! It was a helluva set!

5 Likes

MR vs @ArthurWynne 3-0

So here we go again!

:menelker::psfist::pschip::midori:
so brother, is power the way? gotta smashed by a “glimpsed” QJ+ then I was taken brutally down to 52hp vs magic pixel (wait I’m not supposed to be the one brutal???)…and here come out a dodge into DSD!

:menelker::psfist::pschip::midori:
Here an aggressive midori hit some of my Qs
:menelker::psfist::pschip::grave:

Long and tense game! (6 cards left and 11-6hp!). Luck on my side on his mixup --> FD no TPoS (no Joker my side), then TPos blocked and my Q didn’t scare him enough to not throw me! Bonecraker closed it!

Respect and GGs!

3 Likes

Me vs. NobodysHero

I win 3-0

Midori > Valerie x2 First game was back and forth, second game my hand was 2 10 Q Q Q K A A after a few turns, so… yeah.
Midori > Persephone He had the loop going for a hot second but I got out ground him down to low hand and went in.

2 Likes

Zqxx v @snoc
3-1

:midori::pschip::psfist::setsuki: Is it possible to get tilted at the character select screen? Because I nearly threw in the towel before the set had even begun when I saw snoc’s character pick. :joy: Punching out a turn 1 Sets throw with a 6 normal into 7-8 straight is super satisfying, though, and helped soothe the burn of playing against the ninja. Unfortunately I try to play the rest of the game with a similar level of bravery (or gooney) and get punished for my efforts.
:midori::psfist::pschip::setsuki: Here I start implementing a much more rational and much more conservative range, which I sustained throughout the set: lots of blocking and hand building with periodic unloading of damage. It works out much better for me, though each game really came down to the wire.
:midori::psfist::pschip::setsuki:
:midori::psfist::pschip::setsuki:

Great games, snoc! Despite my initial misgivings, this turned out to be a very close and very fun set of games.

7 Likes

I feel like both of us had pretty great draws that set, with lots of Qs for me and lots of Jokers for you, even if I drew no Jokers in the top 40 cards of my deck in game 2 :angry: The range shift threw me off at first, and then game 3 featured 4 card Midori going ham, but you definitely played better than I did and I don’t begrudge the victory. A few dumb mistakes from me (forgetting to account for AA and dragon blocks) was enough to give you the set.

Video will appear below:

5 Likes

Honestly, this set has made me rethink these two characters a bit. This MU is actually pretty dynamic and interesting, especially since Midori and Setsuki have overall pretty nicely staggered attack speeds. (Eg: Set Q outspeeds Mid dQ, which outspeeds Set A, which outspeeds Mid AA, which outspeeds Set J.) And of course, any grappler has the benefit of outspeeding Set’s throws, so combat feels less like a 50/50.

On top of that, there’s a nice dynamic between Mid’s abilities and Set’s counter. Setsuki can stop Midori from getting dragon form or flipping a card, but that can leave her on a low hand, which a Midori hand full of dragon cards can easily take advantage of on subsequent turns.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’ll schedule in this coming week.

EDIT:

@Hobusu, I realized I never confirmed with you whether you’re in this week or not. I’m going to put you in for now, but if you want out, just let me know.

1 Like