[Tournament] Single Character Showdown 4: Setsuki Hiruki

Just a few days left, would be great to get this to an even 16 player bracket!

4 Likes

I really dislike Sets, but there are some good point in this topic:

• I really like Yomiā€™s tourney (thanks @snoc for running this one more time!)
  • learning to play Sets could help to improve in defeating her
  • all tournaments need largest number of players

Put me in.

7 Likes

I did a quick write up on the stately play forums to let people outside the community know about your tournament. I know it is close to the deadline, but I went ahead and did it. If people from there canā€™t make this tournament, maybe they will make the next one.

If anyone else wants to jump in the thread to rally support, here it is.

7 Likes

Bracket is up, scheduling conversations going out shortlyā€¦

4 Likes

And theyā€™re off!

thehug0naut vs @ArthurWynne
:setsuki: :psfist::psfist::psfist::psfist::pschip::pschip::pschip::pschip::setsuki:
thehug0naut wins 4-0!

I hadnā€™t ever played sets before in a tournament, and this was not the start I expected!

My non-standard range probably didnā€™t help settle @ArthurWynne into the set, and I made a few misplays in the first game, which mustā€™ve only increased his salt level when I went on to win that round. Game 2 had a bit of back and forth but I got a few good reads that I managed to leverage into a win. In game three I sensed him going on tilt and after that a comeback never really seemed on the cards.

Also it turns out single ace is really good.

GGs @ArthurWynne. I promise Iā€™m only mostly in league with satan.

5 Likes

No hard feelings, you won fair and square.

I have some experience playing both with and against Setsuki, but I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever played the mirror before, and you were a lot quicker to adjust! E.g as you say, grasping the value of single Ace. So a well deserved win for you.

Now, letā€™s see if I can adapt my usual card-counting ways to this constant procession of deadly mix-ups before itā€™s too late.

5 Likes

vengefulpickle vs @JonnyD

:setsuki::psfist::pschip::setsuki:
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::setsuki:
:setsuki::psfist::psfist::psfist::pschip::pschip::pschip::setsuki:

Good games. Couple of close ones, couple of your standard Setsuki blowouts, in both directions. @JonnyD played a pretty heavy blocksuki game, which it took me a bit to adjust to properly.

6 Likes

@JonnyD vs @ArthurWynne

JonnyD wins!

4-0.

I drew lots of damage and jokers. Thanks for the game and doing it on the spot. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

mysticjuicer vs Hobusu

:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:

1 hug
2 high fives
1 high five with gusto

ggs!

6 Likes

JonnyD is just being modest. My own draws were by no means bad, he just outplayed me at every turn.

Itā€™s kind of amazing really, that thereā€™s this much depth even (or especially?) in a mirror match.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll take a look at the replay sometime. Iā€™m contemplating trying to just talk over a video with my thought process, but to be honest I drew like 5-7 jokers that whole set and at least 2 of those games I got tons of mileage out of Turn 1 Jokers.

Also I felt like my combat wins had more consistent damage than yours, but that could be that I did build hands off block/ know a few more Anti-Sets things, but I still feel like Yomi is a heavy-luck game (Just the nature of card games) unless you counterpick constantly.

Also just RPS/gamestate/bluffs actually working things.

Were your draws bad?
-No, but having a 3Ks turn 1 of game 4 really told me what would be in your deck.
-I had more Jokers.
-If I had to guess from your play you lacked certain followups on hands even when you guessed RPS correctly, while most of my combat wins were heavy damage.

3 Likes

Ivan vs Caralad - 4:2
:setsuki::pschip::pschip::psfist::psfist::setsuki:
:setsuki::psfist::psfist::psfist::psfist::pschip::pschip::pschip::pschip::setsuki:
I got a lot of luck last 2 - 3 games - a lot Jokers and As and that helps a lot.
Tense and fun set. Good luck in the hell bracket. May be i will join there very soon. :joy:

3 Likes

MR vs @Ivan 4-3

Some games were incredibly close, in some other the winner took over quickly.
Last game was a right guess on last turn.

Respect and GGs!

5 Likes

@Xiba advances over @Zqxx by TO decision.

R2 snoc vs @Xiba
:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :setsuki:
:setsuki: :pschip::psfist: :setsuki:
:setsuki: :psfist::psfist::psfist::pschip::pschip::pschip: :setsuki:

snoc wins 4-1!

After playing two full sets of Yomi with a few interruptions itā€™s all a bit of a blur. The first two games werenā€™t very close, and the last was a perfect (I think) and I definitely picked up on a bit of a blodge-heavy range that I was able to exploit as the set went on. Iā€™ll edit the videos to cut out the pauses and upload them later, but for now GGs and good luck in the lower bracket!

4 Likes

vengefulpickle vs @thehug0naut
4-3

:setsuki::pschip::pschip::psfist::psfist::setsuki:
:setsuki::psfist::psfist::pschip::pschip::setsuki:

A fun set! Gotta run, so no commentaryā€¦ Lots of #JustSetsukiThings

4 Likes

snoc vs @vengefulpickle
:setsuki: :psfist::psfist::psfist: :pschip::pschip::pschip: :setsuki:
:setsuki: :pschip::psfist: :setsuki:
:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :setsuki:

Fun games. I think I played Q on turn 1 every single game? But I feel like you got a lot of jokers too, so maybe it evens out. A few hugs but no high fives. I also dodged a Gold Burst(???).

2 Likes

Hobusu vs @thehug0naut

Final results: Hobusu 4 ā€” thehug0naut 0
Hobusu wins!

A fun set! Most of these were closer than the results would indicate, with one of them notably coming down to 7 HP vs 8 (which I won with mind-games of a sort, since after seeing my new hand from Speed of the Fox was four 7s and an 8 I simply said ā€œthis is a handā€ and that apparently changed his mind away from Shuriken Hail). I think the majority of my success came from doing a lot of throws in the first half and successfully catching dodges with many of them (I think I threw at least 4 turns in a row at one point? Definitely at least 3 in a row), then switching to relatively few dodges in the second half and dodging more to punish the attempts to stuff throws. It also didnā€™t hurt that one game I got a total of two Qs and three 7s in the first two turnsā€¦

Since you werenā€™t enjoying Setsuki Iā€™m happy for you that you donā€™t have to play anymore, and Iā€™m looking forward to our next match!

(Also I had a playlist of Xenoblade 2 music on during the game, and at some point during Game 3 this song came on and I was like ā€œI canā€™t possibly lose now,ā€ haha)

4 Likes

I see how I lost now :joy:

GGs my friend, best of luck going forwards :smile:

3 Likes

Very important Yomi advice I learned from watching Rooks vs The World is that music selection is essential. :wink:

And while Iā€™m thinking of it, let me know if you want to do some friend matches in FS sometime!

3 Likes