4 Likes

mysticjuicer 3 - 1 CKR

:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :zane: sick chip-damage victory
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: triple warstomp into checkmates

ggs man, sorry the set ended that way

5 Likes

I kept a block for your AA. I had 8AA. I guessed incorrectly. My best choices were AA against mixup normal or block AA. I should have played safe. My only regret is not throwing more. There were too many times that I was sitting there with throws to power up with later. I think I will try this MU again in the future. No fear.

3 Likes

Ah, my mistake. Looking forward to our rematch, but also dreading it a little.

2 Likes

vs @Hobusu

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey: Very safe game all around, I just slowly dumped damage in there, and Guard Crushed a couple of 10-blocks, so that was fun. Also, Oni 8-throw is faster than DeGrey 8-throw, which is fun.
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey: Onimaru is a grappler!
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey: In which I start getting thrown, and lose.
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey: CANON BATTLE! I got some good spin going, got around 35 damage jokered, and just kept spinning for winning.

ggs! I’m pretty stoked with the characters I got to work with. Also hi @mysticjuicer here I am messing with your tournament spreadsheet.

3 Likes

At some point in this tournament I started playing basically mono-DeGrey, which is a bad idea if the opponent has a Quince as it turns out… :sweat_smile:

GGs!

3 Likes

@JonnyD vs @Fluffiness

:valerie::psfist::pschip::persephone: - I dumped my hand for lethal to 1 card (joker) just because I decided to go all in. It was dumb, but paid off.
:valerie::psfist::pschip::setsuki: - I landed a few 6 attacks. Fluffiness took me down to chip life and the deck delivers decent dodge follow ups + dodges.
:valerie::pschip::psfist::setsuki: - I didn’t think he had all those throws and honestly got outplayed. He knew I lacked blocks pretty much turn 2ish(?) after I wanted to counter his 7 throw with known Bursts of Speed.
:grave::psfist::pschip::setsuki: - I turn 1 single a’d. Turn 2 used his 7 AKA ESP to look at his hand and it was a really unfortunate Setsuki hand that I exploited.

GGs Fluffiness.

3 Likes

Myself vs. @wampuh

:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :rook: CHICKEN BUSTER!
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :rook: Feels good to joker a CMB, gotta say.
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :rook: Dodged two jokers in a row, NO RESPECT FOR ME. (I followed this up with an eventual Jokering of Wall of Vines, and then a shameful dodge into lethal.) ggs!

Fun set, I learned a lot more about this MU.

5 Likes

@FenixOfTheAshes vs. @Leontes

:geiger: :pschip: :psfist: :midori:
:geiger: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:
:geiger: :pschip: :psfist: :midori:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:

I win 3-2, GGs.

As much as I was looking forward to this set, I honestly can’t say much positive about it due to how it ended. The Geiger-Midori games had some very interesting valuation/mindgames that Leontes came out on top of. Felt more like playing player v player than char v char. Facing match point, I was feeling less than confident in my Geiger so I decided to bring out DeGrey and got really good draws to mount a comeback. The heartbreaker moment was when I had 1 card in hand against Leontes who needed to land his FDB/dodge mixup to win - of course, I topdecked a 7. Then the exact same thing happened in the critical moment of the last game too. Welp, that’s how it goes sometimes.

6 Likes

mysticjuicer 3 - 2 JonnyD

:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :grave:
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :grave:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:

ggs man, your Grave was maddening

7 Likes

wampuh 3-2 vengefulpickle

:rook: :psfist::black_circle::persephone:
:rook::psfist::black_circle::persephone:
:rook::black_circle::psfist::chibibbb:
:zane::black_circle::psfist::chibibbb:
:zane::psfist: :black_circle::chibibbb:

6 Likes

Rinzler 3-2 FaceOnMars

:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey:
:rook: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey:
:rook: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey:

I think that’s right.
one of these losses I opened with 3 kings and that was hilarious
Got my CMB pilebunkered again in game one. Sad.

Rinzler 3-1 Fluffy

:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone: real quick one with an early CMB
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone: another CMB :grimacing:
:rook: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki: she is fast. Very fast.
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki: kings are King

9 Likes

Leontes vs. @flagrantangles

I love this matchup!

:midori::psfist::pschip::quince:

Each of these was down to the wire. I think I had less than 15 health each game, with game 3 ending with me at 2 health (I was chillin at 31 when I got hit with the ol’ QQ++). I dodged the last Joker and won with an 8 attack.
Extremely close set but I edged out each game. It was a lot closer than the 3-0 suggests for sure.

On the matchup:
A lot of successful Quince players will tell you that there’s a lot of very smart things you can do with Two Truths, Positive Spin, and Patriot Mirror. Against Midori though, the entire gameplan warps. You can’t rely on Patriot Mirror’s tried and true Normal Attack/Dodge to be a perfectly safe option, nor does Throw/Dodge work. Are you going to use that K Dodge to make it safe? How else can you use the K if you can’t really bully me in neutral with it?

Sure, Quince can use his special dodges to beat dQ and dJ, but do you really have the cardflow to do that against Midori? A grappler who can outpoke you if you aren’t using a 3?

I haven’t quite worked out if it’s really 5-5 or maybe 5.5 Midori advantage; juicer chart says it’s 37-32 now in Midori’s favor (and I’m 14-7 in it sooooo). But my metric of how bad matchups work in Yomi seems to be true.

If a character has to massively deviate their gameplan in an uncomfortable way, it’s probably a bad matchup? But if Midori’s Dragon attacks are dodgeable, then who’s more uncomfortable here? :wink:

ggs flagrantangles! Hope to fight your Quince again soon.

12 Likes

Carpe vs. @FaceOnMars

:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey: In hindsight, I probably should’ve checked FoM’s tournament history this season of IYL…
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey: My Pocket Beats got attacked! Sad moo.
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey: My Lockhorn Skewer accuracy was 75% this match!
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey: 0/2 on Pocket Beats T_T

5 Likes

Regarding the last game, I apologize for drawing 2 of my Aces on turn one, hit confirming into Final Arbiter, then having the temerity to power up for the 3rd, then drawing the 4th, and then hit confirming into Final Arbiter again on turn two. Sincerely…
NOT!
^V^V^V^V^V^V^

4 Likes

@vengefulpickle 3-1 @Hobusu

:vendetta::pschip::psfist::setsuki: I got Sets down to 24 while only taking 1 chip damage, and had 4 aces and hand, and @Hobusu proved the adage that Sets isn’t dead until she’s all the way dead.
:quince::psfist::pschip::setsuki:
:quince::psfist::pschip::valerie: @Hobusu CPs my “oh no, my mains all get eaten by Sets” with an “oh no, my mains get eaten by Quince” pick
:quince::psfist::pschip::valerie:

5 Likes

FaceOnMars vs @vengefulpickle

:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone:
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone:
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:

GGs thanks for a fun set.

6 Likes

CKR over @FenixOfTheAshes 3-0

All :zane: vs :troq:

ggs.

5 Likes

mysticjuicer 3 - 0 Rinzler

:bbb: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:

ggs dude, had a lot of fun bantering :slight_smile: sorry about the MU, let’s play some Rook mirrors sometime!

5 Likes