[Tournament] Codex Asynchronous Winter Swiss 2018 (CAWS18)

@Dreamfire
@codexnewb
@witspur

Clocks ticking on deck submission…!

Ok, count me in then. I’m gonna meme on some fools with [Balance]/Peace/Law

2 Likes

ill go necro/anarchy/growth

2 Likes

These Necro/Growth combos are making me uncomfortable. I’ll go with [Strength]/Blood/Future after all.

4 Likes

@witspur
Codex?

I’m not smart enough to play this game, but too dumb not to enter. I’ll use [Bashing]/Fire/Peace.

7 Likes

If I may still register, I’d like to sign in as [Discipline]/Strength/Finesse. Thanks to ping me @zhavier as I missed the announcement somehow…

3 Likes

Ahhh, ummm, so not sure if I have time…

ahh well, might as well

[Present]/Past/Finesse
Never played this before, how bad can it be???

2 Likes

ROUND 1

Please remember to copy the match title exactly

1. [CAWS18] Bob199 MonoPurple vs Bomber678 [Balance]/Peace/Law
  2. [CAWS18] Dreamfire [Strength]/Blood/Future vs EricF [Discipline]/Strength/Finesse
  3. [CAWS18] Shadow_Night_Black [Present]/Past/Finesse vs zhavier [Finesse]/Anarchy/Blood
  4. [CAWS18] codexnewb [Necro]/Anarchy/Growth vs charnel_mouse [Balance]/Blood/Strength
  5. [CAWS18] tie MonoPurple vs flagrantangles [Bashing]/Fire/Peace
  6. [CAWS18] Marto [Discipline]/Strength/Finesse vs FrozenStorm [Anarchy]/Necro/Growth
  7. [CAWS18] thehug0naut [Feral]/Present/Blood vs Nekoatl [Discipline]/Past/Law

witspur gets the bye, playing [Disease]/Blood/Anarchy

4 Likes

If anyone likes to see the statistics:

SPEC USED % USAGE
Balance 2 13.33%
Feral 1 6.67%
Growth 2 13.33%
Anarchy 4 26.67%
Blood 5 33.33%
Fire 1 6.67%
Demon 0 0.00%
Disease 1 6.67%
Necro 2 13.33%
Law 2 13.33%
Peace 2 13.33%
Truth 0 0.00%
Past 4 26.67%
Present 4 26.67%
Future 2 13.33%
Discipline 3 20.00%
Ninjutsu 0 0.00%
Strength 4 26.67%
Bashing 1 6.67%
Finesse 4 26.67%
GREEN STARTER 3 20.00%
RED STARTER 1 6.67%
BLACK STARTER 2 13.33%
BLUE STARTER 0 0.00%
PURPLE STARTER 3 20.00%
WHITE STARTER 4 26.67%
NEUTRAL STARTER 2 13.33%
7 Likes

A tourney where nobody picked Demonology? Am I dreaming?

5 Likes

#nomorenightmares

2 Likes

Only 2 pure monocolors, but 4 Finesse-monocolors. Virtuoso-tech, or anti-token hate ? Time will tell !

White starter and specs come back while CAFS-dominating Black happens to be the least played as specs (only 3, even less than blue); yet, 2/3 of Black players picked it as a starter, which is the highest ratio with White.

While Blue starter being widely ignored is no surprise, I wonder why White stepped from the least used color (1 starter and 2 specs, less than Blue and Purple) to one of the favorites. To tell the truth I’m just as surprised to see that EricF and I play the very same deck I consider being an oustider in a no-limit tournament.

Besides, I’ll watch eagerly @FrozenStorm and @codexnewb playing their Necro/Anarchy/Growth with different starters - that should be quite interesting !

5 Likes

I will go ahead and Post despite half not being done. The results won’t really matter until round 3.

ROUND 2!

1. [CAWS18] EricF [Discipline]/Strength/Finesse vs codexnewb [Necro]/Anarchy/Growth
  2. [CAWS18] zhavier [Finesse]/Anarchy/Blood vs Bomber678 [Balance]/Peace/Law
  3. [CAWS18] flagrantangles [Bashing]/Fire/Peace vs thehug0naut [Feral]/Present/Blood
  4. [CAWS18] Nekoatl [Discipline]/Past/Law vs Marto [Discipline]/Strength/Finesse
  5. [CAWS18] charnel_mouse [Balance]/Blood/Strength vs Shadow_Night_Black [Present]/Past/Finesse
  6. [CAWS18] witspur [Disease]/Blood/Anarchy vs Dreamfire [Strength]/Blood/Future
  7. [CAWS18] FrozenStorm [Anarchy]/Necro/Growth vs tie MonoPurple

Bob199 gets the BYE

3 Likes

I reckon it’s a slight meta shift because of the introduction of the 19XX format to the tournament schedule. In Yomi after @mysticjuicer introduced the format I noticed a lot less people playing the old meta even in unbanned formats.

2 Likes

It might have been asked before, but what was the motivation behind the triple elimination in a Swiss?

The elimination provides a natural progression to an exciting set of final matches. As evidenced during XCAFS, you can lose your first 2 matches and still come out ahead. The matchmaking rules usually ensure that people don’t consistently get matched against very unfavorable opponents by Round 3.

1 Like

OK, so I guess it’s predominantly an elimination tournament rather than a Swiss, with the Swiss there to avoid having to design brackets?

An elimination tournament usually removes people after a single loss. But you are correct, its not strictly a Swiss format either. I’d argue its somewhere in between. It is Swiss for the first 3 rounds, then it is elimination to determine a final winner.

1 Like

The swiss is there to give as balanced matchups as possible in each round after 1, and to give equal elimination chances to each party. We could just as easily run it full swiss, but this has the function of taking the players who won’t be in the running for tops after 3 rounds and excusing them to put more spectator focus on the matchups affecting the ultimate winner. It is hybrid-like, but I think it works pretty well.

And yea, don’t give up after 2 losses (or do give up hope, like I did; maybe it helped me play better lol. But at least keep playing your hardest ^_^)

2 Likes