[Tournament] Codex Asynchronous suMmer Swiss (CAMS) 2018

I don’t know what has happened to @EricF But I thought someone should take up the role of running this tournament format in his absence.

The Codex Asynchronous Summer Swiss tournament for 2018 is now taking signups!

This will be a swiss tournament, one match per week, with a grace period if your match doesn’t finish on time. First match will be paired on the first day of Summer: Thursday June 21.

Nit picky details of how pairings will work

Each round, pairings will be assigned as follows:
If a match between two players who each have two losses is not completed when the next round is paired, a proxy of “the winner of x vs y” will be paired for the next round in lieu of either participant.
When the delayed match completes, the proxy will be replaced by the actual winner.
This proxy is considered to have the combined opponent and bye history of both players, for purposes of making pairings.
Deliberately delaying a match in an attempt to affect your pairing for the next round is considered Cheating, and is punishable by being disqualified from the tournament. Yes, this is technically “not enforceable” but it’s still illegal. Don’t do it.
If the number of players is odd, a bye (which counts as a win) will be assigned to the player who:
Has had the fewest byes in the tournament (normally zero)
Has played against all other players, or so many of the other players that a bye is needed to avoid a re-match elsewhere in the tournament (probably won’t happen)
Has the most losses
Has played against the fewest remaining players (this helps minimize re-matches, while also keeping more players in the tournament longer)
Was picked randomly from among players tied for criteria #4
Each player will be paired with another player who
They have been paired against the fewest times (normally zero)
Has the same number of losses
An unfinished match is not counted as a loss for players with fewer than two losses
Is randomly selected
I reserve the option to hand-craft pairings and/or the bye if necessary to minimize the number of re-matches. This manual manipulation will not result in someone getting a second bye unless all players have had a bye.

General Rules / How Things Work:

The player who goes first in each round will be pre-determined
If one player has gone first fewer times in the tournament (not counting BYEs), that player goes first, otherwise, the first player is decided randomly.
The first player is responsible for creating the game thread.
Tag @zhavier when a winner has been determined.
CAS tournaments use a “three strikes” rule - any player who has three losses will be automatically dropped from the tournament. Players may also drop at any time.
There is no “cut” - the last player standing wins the event. Thanks to the “three strikes” rule, the field should narrow towards the end, and culminate in an exciting final few matches.
Matches are 1 game.
The default will be to play all matches as play-by-post within the forum, but a match may be played in an alternate format (in person, on an alternate platform, via snail-mail, whatever) by mutual agreement, until the field is reduced to four or fewer players.
Each player will select one deck (three specs plus applicable starter) to be run for the entire tournament
I am accepting volunteers to help Judge the event. @Shadow_Night_Black and @FrozenStorm will also judge.
If any rulings are necessary, any single Judge who is not participating in that match may make a ruling.
Rulings are subject to appeal only if the judge making the ruling is wrong about the facts of the game (eg, forgetting that a Building Inspector is in play, or the Shrine of Forbidden Knowledge only makes Demons unstoppable by units) or the rules/FAQ as noted at rules — Sirlin.Net — Game Design and/or the Rulings thread.
Please note this suggested format, and include hand, tech and worker decisions either in a spoiler, or in a linked source that I can get to. For games involving me, you can send a private link to a different judge
Matches posted every Thursday. Matches that are not progressing may be given an adjudicated result.

Details of unfinished match adjudication
  1. Matches where Player 1 has posted their 5th turn by Wednesday will not be adjudicated until the following Monday
  2. Matches where Player 1 has posted their 10th turn on that Monday (11 days after pairings) will not be adjudicated until Thursday.
  3. Matches subject to adjudication may have a Win declared for the player who is, in the judgement of the Judges,
    a. “going to win” (having clear hand/tech spoilers is helpful for determining this)
    b. Less responsible for the delay of game, OR
    c. For no-one, if prior arrangements were made, or the match result isn’t critical for making the next round of pairings, or if a “catch up” week is coming up.
Nit-picky details about correcting game errors

In the event of a game error, one of three fixes will be implemented:

If a unit, hero, or building took the wrong amount of damage, and changing it to the correct amount does not cause anything to leave play or not leave play, then the damage will be corrected.
1a. If not enough gold was spent, and the excess was floated, the gold total will be corrected. If too much gold was spent, the excess will be refunded. The possibility of theft (red starter, Anarchy, or Law) does not impact this, as both players are responsible for maintaining the game state. An actually executed theft (or failure to steal after taking the appropriate action) forecloses this remedy.
The game will be backed up to the turn of the error. In this case, having the decisions / game state noted is important for re-constructing things. Any random events that are undone (eg, drawing cards) must be re-randomized, regardless of the size or type of error. Normally the entire turn containing the error will be backed up and re-done, but if knowledge has been gained, or cards drawn, and the error occurred after the new information was gained, the Judge must only back up to the point where new information was revealed.
If neither of the above apply. the game will be left as-is, if I feel a backup cannot be performed (for example, an error occurs on Turn 2, and it is now Turn 4, both players have made decisions, reshuffled, etc. based on the incorrect game state).
Regardless of remedy, players should feel free to use any information disclosed by their opponent’s error in making gameplay choices. For example, an opponent’s tech choice revealed via a card illegally played and then returned to hand.
In the case of repeated errors, or errors where the gamestate cannot be recovered, a game loss may be given if the error was substantial.

I will endeavor to post new pairings every Thursday, but the “tournament week” is considered to be from one pairings post to the next.

Late signups will be accepted without penalty until the second set of pairings are made. Signups after that may occur, but will be given one loss for each full tournament week that has elapsed.

You may change your submitted deck up through June 20.

List of players:

1. Zhavier [Anarchy]/Strength/Growth
  2. FrozenStorm [Demon/Necro]/Finesse
  3. Hobusu [Anarchy]/Strength/Growth
  4. Shadow_Night_Black Monopurple
  5. Shax [Necro]/Peace/Blood
  6. Dreamfire [Demon]/Anarchy/Balance
  7. Nekoatl [Demon]/Strength/Growth
  8. Cstick [Finesse]/Present/Discipline
  9. CarpeGuitarrem MonoRed
  10. RathyAro [Demon/Necro]/Finesse
  11. Lettucemode MonoGreen
  12. charnel_mouse [Balance/Growth]/Strength
  13. Bomber678 [Future]/Peace/Blood
5 Likes

You know I’m in! Bringing back the classic, [demon/necro]/finesse

2 Likes

I guess I’ll join too! [Anarchy]/Strength/Growth for me as well.

1 Like

Woop, been missing this :slight_smile: Let finally see how my mono-purple fares in a tournament. I’m also happy to Judge if you want.

2 Likes

Well I’m interested, but I have a ton of wacky deck ideas to refine first. I also have no idea what the meta is right now.

1 Like

You have weeks to figure it out. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’d be happy to help out with judging if needed @zhavier

2 Likes

I’m interested as well, but I’m not sure about my deck choice yet. Let’s put down [Demon]/Anarchy/Balance, as a placeholder.

1 Like

Bump10char

4 weeks to go.

@charnel_mouse @TheKonamiCode @Request @shamusj @codexnewb @rathyAro @Nekoatl You’ve all played within the last couple months, I would love to see all of you join us for this tournament! It’s pretty low-commitment (one game a week) and inspires a lot of interesting situations that are fun to spectate!

@sharpobject @Leontes @mysticjuicer you old regulars too :wink:

I’d mention more names but the forums limit to 10 in a post. I’ll poke my brother to see if he’d take a spin, he’s really busy with life stuff though :confused:

6 Likes

Sorry, too much overtime at work to consider hopping in. Thanks for the invite though!

2 Likes

I would hope overtime doesn’t become the norm. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m doing overtime at the moment too, hopefully it’ll calm down within four weeks but it’s touch and go at the moment.
Also, I’d been thinking about doing something with Strength and Growth for my first mixed-colour codex, so I’d need to come up with something that would make for less Anarchy/Strength/Growth mirror matches :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, it’s fine, mirror matches are hilarious for A/S/G! :laughing:

2 Likes

I’ll see how far [Demonology]/Growth/Strength will take me.

2 Likes

[Finesse]/Present/Discipline

In a similar vein, I’ll tag some older posters in the hope that they get an email notification and maybe participate:

@Mooseknuckles
@petE
@Jadiel
@lettucemode
@CarpeGuitarrem
@Castanietzsche
@Alhazard
@Barrelfish
@Zejety
@Bryce_The_Rice

4 Likes

Yeah I’d be game. Gonna try mono Red.