[Tournament] 19XX: Ace 4 - Tournament in progress!

Tournament is now in session! Scheduling emails will go out shortly! Thanks again to @vengefulpickle for all your help getting me set up with the Auto TO technology! :heart:

5 Likes

Please note, I’ve decided to make at least the first round 2 weeks. Please do your best to schedule matches as soon as possible, just so you have the maximum amount of time to reschedule if for unexpected circumstances arise. Good luck and have fun to all participants!

4 Likes

Round 1 me vs @flagrantangles

:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :quince:
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie:

ggs! I think I really made some really risky plays at points that did not pay off at all. Valerie is sorta new for me, glad to get some play there!

8 Likes

I feel like I’m taking Silmerion’s place by playing Quince and Valerie!

@CarpeGuitarrem You play a mean Quince and I mean that as a compliment. If my experience has taught me anything, it’s that I’m kinda bad at the mirror. :open_mouth: Even so, it doesn’t help that I play a “gears out” style, to reference @ARMed_PIrate’s old Geiger guide. It works for me in a lot of MU’s but there are plenty where I could stand to be more conservative or strike a better balance between caution and risk, the eternal tide of Yomi.

The Onimaru/Val games were pretty fun though. I imagine it’s kinda scary to play the guard crushes from the Onimaru side since Val’s normals can ruin your day. I know it was scary on the Val side to play the normals because of Oni’s dodges and FA. While dodges are pretty good for both of us, I think what really makes things interesting is that Oni and Val have the same throw speeds so Oni can’t threaten his throws in the same way. Furthermore, with FA being on the table, BoS seems like it should be reserved mostly to win throw clashes.

Anywho, GGs!

8 Likes

Zqxx v @vengefulpickle
4-1

:midori::psfist::pschip::quince:

:midori::psfist::pschip::bbb:

:midori:: “Your fancy machines are no match for the ancient arts!”

:midori::pschip::psfist::bbb:

:bbb:: “Don’t try to frighten us with your monastic ways, Midori. Your sad devotion to that ancient path won’t help you win.”

:midori:: “Help me, Arga-garg Garg! You are my only hope!”

:argagarg::psfist::pschip::bbb:

:argagarg:: “Blarg?”

:argagarg::psfist::pschip::persephone:

:argagarg:: “Gurgle.”

Very fun set! It’s been a while since I’ve touched Yomi so I’m glad I haven’t been rusting away. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Leontes vs. Southpaw Hare

:setsuki::psfist::pschip::gloria:
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::rook:
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::rook:
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::rook:
:lum::pschip::psfist::rook:
:midori::psfist::pschip::rook:
:midori::psfist::pschip::bbb:

Leontes wins 4-3

Ughhhh these are the kinds of sets that cause permanent damage to my soul.

I started out Setsuki because she’s strong in the format. Got to a quick 2-0 lead and then SPH’s Rook took me out in two very close games. I decided to switch to Lum since I was ahead. I end up a bit low on life but I set up a good Poker Flourish and then… apparently I suck at Lum’s UI online (I’ve played him a ton offline but honestly VERY few games online) and I auto passed while typing a message before the “discard an Ace” portion of the ability. Whoops. I ended up at 1 HP against a 4 HP Rook in the end, and died to a checkmate Wall of Vines (was my fault it was a checkmate though, salty overpump of Extra Juice going for lethal and I got rid of my Q). Very upsetting way to lose a match but that’s how it goes.

Down 3-2 in the set, I just picked Midori into Rook (and of course if I won he’d go BBB) because why not. Started slow in the Midori game, but ended up picking up momentum in the end and took it with very low health.

In comes BBB. I was getting upset with my hand quality (I drew only a single 2, ZERO tens, and ZERO Jacks) but I somehow managed not to get put in the blender through decent use of AA and hQ. Represented AA a lot and was able to snag some dodges in the lategame to close it out with single digit health.

Extremely tense set. Every game went down to sub 20 health for both players I think. I hope that this will be my hardest fought set in the tournament, because I probably can’t take much more punishment than that, lol.

GGs, @SouthpawHare.

Sidenote/rant: I don’t think I’m a great Yomi player outside of my ridiculous amount of Midori matchup knowledge. I think this tournament will be good for me to play other characters and bring Midori out later on when I can minimize how many times he needs to fight against BBB or something, like maybe just as a finisher. I don’t know; it’s probably better to just play mono Setsuki from here on out (even in non-19XX games) but it’s a bit frustrating to try to branch out into other characters, lose a bit, then have Midori come and clean everything up even in the bad matchups, lol. Such a struggle.

I really need to transition to using Midori as a surgical weapon, when I know a player might not have the most matchup knowledge or if they are playing any of the low tier characters that he destroys. I’ve already gotten used to picking Troq against Arg, so I just need to get myself playing Zane against Geiger/DeGrey and I’m probably gonna be fine. Not making IYL playoffs (and knowing exactly why and what I could have done differently… hint; PLAY ZANE) was extremely frustrating to me and maybe it’s the kick in the ass I need to stop playing 100% :midori:. Bleh. Thanks for reading.

8 Likes

If you ever figure out how to win with Zane against Degrey, let me know. This is by far my most difficult MU with him. My record is abysmal. My Zane doesn’t fear burly bulls because there is a more dangerous man that has the power of evil ghost spirits.

5 Likes

Leontes, if you want to solo main a dragon-man, the key is to be an idiot.

7 Likes

It’s easy, just use 2 attack. It’s the best card in the mu.
Every time I 2 attack, I win combat.
Don’t forget to flex your 5 throw too

Zane is one of the few characters that can deal enough damage with an attack reveal to make TR/7 a non-dominant mixup. He’s also got two great reversals and light speed throws, and if DeGrey wants to try to throw or play Pilebunker, you can play a 6 attack and get massively rewarded for it, unlike most characters who usually just tack on a simple ender or something.

DeGrey also can only wake up with K to beat Meaty Attacks. It’s not a hard matchup for Zane at all imo.

EDIT: somehow DeGrey and Zane made it into the 19XX thread. Let’s try to ignore them again lol

2 Likes

Unfortunately Oddus has had to drop out of the tournament. Bob199 advances.

Copper 4 - 0 MysticDeadman

:menelker::psfist::pschip::gloria:
:menelker::psfist::pschip::gwen:
:menelker::psfist::pschip::gwen:
:menelker::psfist::pschip::lum:

I got pretty lucky with my throw callouts and hit more than my fair share of slow J or raw 6s. Definitely stole a gwen game with last minute DSD powerup. Lum got DPed to death.

GGs MysticDeadman, always a fun time playing and chatting with you.

7 Likes

UTRALAW 4-3 @Caralad

:menelker::psfist::pschip::codexgrave:
:menelker::psfist::pschip::persephone:
:menelker::psfist::pschip::onimaru:
:menelker::pschip::psfist::menelker:
:menelker::pschip::psfist::menelker:
:chibisetsuki::pschip::psfist::menelker:
:menelker::psfist::pschip::menelker:

GGS Caralad! The runback dream was very real! i was denied from seeing his hand for a lot of the early games. And I drew VERY well in the Oni game both jokers at the right time and triple back to back Q .
Caralad then control the pace for most of the later half. The last game was very close i threw caution out the door and power up for two Q and a K with no block or throw in hand but lady luck saved me again and i drew into a 7.

Again i would like to say sorry to Caralad for not making it the first time around for our match. And i hope he has a great trip and cannot wait to play him again soon.

8 Likes

Sees character choices

Fans self

7 Likes

The amount of :menelker: I’m seeing is making me want to change my Secret Plan™ but I must stay strong

5 Likes

He’s pretty godlike in 19XX. He was the best in that Lum’s Long Odds thing, too.

1 Like

My winrate against Menelker with Quince makes me feel all sorts of unstatemanlike glee!

5 Likes

CKR over @migohunter 4-1

All :setsuki: vs :quince:

ggs.

4 Likes

ggs I had a blast fighting Setsuki

no I didn’t

well played anyway

9 Likes

Dietz wins 4-2 over Luke

:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:
:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :midori: