Summer Smash V - Round 1 deadline is July 15th

Just so you know @Xiba onimarus 9 can not be countered by args 10

1 Like

oh yes I just find that!
Thanks for note me!

1 Like

Oh my, Zejety loses to @Caralad 2-4 in loser’s bracket!

:bbb: < :zane:
:bbb: < :zane:
:gwen: > :zane:
:gwen: > :troq:
:gwen: < :onimaru:
:argagarg: < :onimaru:

Were all good games, despite me making a few should-be beginner’s mistakes. It really shows how long it’s been since I’ve played regularly. Used an even mix-up normal against Zane and saved counters against Final Authority. >_>

GGs!

4 Likes

Are you, the next monarch? Or merely a pawn of fate?
Shax wins vs @Ivan 4-2

:troq::psfist::pschip::lum: I simply didn’t feel like playing my usual dudes, and Ivan is known to play characters my dudes are meh against. I busted out the horns. Decently close due to blackjack, but I decided to punish any low hand, low hp, slippery play with good old fashioned hugs for lethal.
:troq::psfist::pschip::degrey: My particular offense choices managed to edge out his super aggressive start. Failed Beats by Dre tm. I almost attack a ace dodge at the end but decide to do the same thing as last game. Punished low hand, low hp, slippery plays with good old fashioned hugs yet again.
:troq::pschip::psfist::degrey: Oof. He played a little more conservatively and got a rhythm going on me. Fairly comfortable life lead here.
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::degrey: Still not feeling like my dudes so I literally looked up a MU chart for vs :degrey:. I got myself stuck in a low bad hand and sniff he took advantage of me.
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::degrey: Here was going really well until DeGrammage. Powered up for a bunch of aces then dodged into them ftw. In one of these matches my 10*s lined up really well to win some combats.
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::grave: I draw a thoroughly uncomboable opening hand with three 7s. Power up some shit and land a throw for good damage and start the vortex. Working towards a perfect until I went Q vs Q. Closed strong.

Respect and GG!

6 Likes

Let’s both play our mains next round! Setsuki mirrors are great. @Shax

5 Likes

Tellah (flagrantangles) wins 4-3 versus Kuja (@FenixOfTheAshes) upsetting every single bracket prediction, I think.
:quince::psfist::pschip::zane: Positive Spin is quite powerful, turns out.
:quince::pschip::psfist::zane: Quonce isn’t fast and I wasn’t brave enough on KD.
:onimaru::pschip::psfist::zane: It was close but DODGING IS VERY GOOD.
:onimaru::psfist::pschip::zane: It was close but DODGING IS VERY GOOD, but for me.
:onimaru::pschip::psfist::degrey: I thought I was doing well when I threw him twice. After that I kept getting hit by shit until I died. WHAT IS THIS ARMOR EVEN GOOD FOR?!
:quince::psfist::pschip::degrey: Have you ever wanted to know what it’s like to Positive Spin J and play it honestly 5 times in a row?
:quince::psfist::pschip::zane: Bravery and caution intertwined mean that I attack a KD Zane with known Anarchy during J Spin and defeat his block. The following K spin is played honestly and dodges Maximum Anarchy.

The Flagstone Dominion will never fall.

10 Likes

Oh baby! :relieved::ok_hand:

6 Likes

I have a main? You play Setsuki? What year is it?

3 Likes

The Nameless One (vengefulpickle) vs Thrall (@Xiba)

:zane::pschip::psfist::setsuki: - I open with K that goes uncountered for an early lead, but @Xiba proves the maxim that Setsuki is dangerous at life total, and takes down Zane from the mid 60s with only 1 life remaining.
:zane::psfist::pschip::setsuki: - I open with K that gets countered. Dodges are good.
:zane::psfist::pschip::setsuki: - I open with K that gets countered. Dodges are good.
:zane::psfist::pschip::setsuki: - I open with K that gets countered. Anarchy is good.
:zane::psfist::pschip::midori: - I open with K blows up a throw. Anarchy duffs FDB for the win.

Good GAMES, @Xiba! Definately a closer set than the final tally suggests.

12 Likes

The first turn is amazing!

4 Likes

taking notes

6 Likes

9 Likes

12 Likes

I was looking for that exact screenshot, but had to resort to a screenshot of his wikipedia page. Thank you for finding that. :smiley:

2 Likes

Amazing. I am inspired.

5 Likes

@ThreeHeadedMonkey advances by TO decision
@variable advances by TO decision
@ArthurWynne advances by TO decision.

1 Like

Zqxx (Theo) vs @GutterOwl (The Devil)
4-3

:setsuki::psfist::pschip::persephone:
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::onimaru:
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::onimaru:
:argagarg::pschip::psfist::persephone:
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::persephone:
:gwen::psfist::pschip::persephone:
:gwen::psfist::pschip::onimaru:

This was such a 19XX meta carousel, I feel. :joy:

Great games and well-played!

5 Likes

dang. dang dang dang. was really hoping to perform better this year, in part because i wanted more opportunities to rep slash shill for my favorite underappreciated game and its upcoming spiritual sequel. oh well.

good games zqxx, and i wish you luck against the rest of the loser’s bracket! and thank you again to jenga and caralad for running the tournament!

9 Likes

Ivan vs Arthur Wynne - 1:2
:rook::pschip::psfist::argagarg:
:midori::pschip::psfist::argagarg:
:midori::psfist::pschip::argagarg:
:midori::pschip::pschip::grave: -> to be continued
We encountered some server problems and decided to continue our match on Friday, 27/07 - 6pm UTC from game 4.

3 Likes

Losers’ R2 @snoc vs @MR75

:setsuki: :psfist::knockdown: :grave: 5 combats, 5 throws, perfect
:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :grave: TPoS threatened throughout a large portion of this game, but two jokers allow me keep it in the hutch and close out another convincing win
:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :grave: Just Ninja Things. 4 card straights are pretty good.
:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :grave: no opening 2345 straight this time but I manage to close out the set

GGs MR! Shame to see you go out to two bagels, but the cards were just there for me today and I managed to make the right calls where it mattered.

CLOSING IN ON SPIDEY

5 Likes