Rules Questions thread

Page 5 of the rulebook clearly uses “of your opponent’s” to qualify things you’re allowed to attack, which does not include your own units.

4 Likes

Hey y’all, can I get a quick gut check on whether I did this right:

Specifically, I’m wanting to confirm that a Tower does not hit stealthy ninjas from Fox’s Den Students if they aren’t “spotted” by it (since 1 already used it up) but they are “attacking in plain sight” (that is, hitting other units).

For some reason, I have a nagging suspicion tower always hits things attacking patrollers (or any units / heroes?), regardless of stealth / invisibility, and thus I should only have 2 (or none?) ninjas when the dust settles in this turn, instead of the 3 I initially thought.

If the tower already used its detect ability on an opponent’s turn, then that opponent attacks with a stealth/invisible unit or hero, the tower won’t hit that attacker. It won’t even hit the attacker if it attacks the tower itself. In this example, the tower already used up its detect ability and it can’t hit any more stealth/invisible attackers that turn. — Sirlin, 03/14/16

Yeah you did it right.

4 Likes

Thanks for doubling checking me @Shax!

1 Like

It appears there has been no official clarification of how cards that can target multiple things (Ember Sparks, Burning Volley, Tricycloid, any others?) interact with the resist mechanic. For example:

Say you would like to kill an opponent’s hero with 3hp, who is patrolled in lookout, with any of these spells or abilities. The desired target has resist 1 from lookout. How much extra do you pay? Just 1, despite the 3 damage (so you’re calling it one instance of targeting)? Or 1 per point of damage you’re assigning (as each damage is an instance of targeting)? Is the Tricycloid’s case different from the Jaina spells?

2 Likes

Ember Sparks and Burning Volley target each target only once, so you’ll pay 1 for assigning 3 of their damage to a target with resist 1.

Tricycloid’s ability does only 1 damage. If you want to use it on a target with resist 1 3 times, you will pay 1 gold 3 times.

3 Likes

Does Dothram Horselord count (opponents’) bonus to ATK from patrolling in elite?

I believe so. My understanding is that the Elite bonus applies after all other modifiers, ensuring an Elite patroller always has at least 1 attack, but that is all resolved before anything that cares about what the attack of a unit is can see it.

2 Likes

Yes to dothram horselord.

But at least 1 attack is not true, nothing says a unit cant have negative attack. It is possible to put something in elite and still have 0 attack from -1 runes or deteriorate for example.

3 Likes

I don’t think we even have a rule saying “Every unit or hero has at least 0 attack” so your Elite bonus might bring your Corpse Catapult with 3 -1/-1 runes on it from -2/1 all the way up to -1/1.

1 Like

The only thing to be said about that is there should be a rule that says negative attack value can’t cause a unit to gain health.

1 Like

isn’t it better to say attack values have a minimum value of 0?

1 Like

But that can lead to situations where someone interpretts the attack value as not being able to go below 0, which isnt true. Even if you say …“after all modifiers” some people can still get confused.

2 Likes

maybe: “Attacks cannot deal damage less than 0”

I have Terras Q and Vandy in play.
My opponent has a Voidblocker in SQL and no other units.

I attack with Terras Q. Do I have to exhaust Vandy or not?

(The question is about timing of Obliterate in relation to Voidblocker’s trigger).

Ohhh, good question.

My best guess: Obliterate happens when you declare an attack. Voidblocker’s ability occurs when it is declared the target of an attack. I think “declaring an attack” and “declaring the target of an attack” are different steps in the attack sequence. So obliterate would happen, and then the target would be declared, something other than the voidblocker that has already been obliterated.

3 Likes

Quoting the rulebook:

To attack, exhaust your attacker and say what it attacks

My gut reaction was that “Declaring an attack” and “Declaring a target for an attack” happen at the same time so there’s no window for Obliterate resolution between them. Obliterate then allows you to redeclare attack target if your former target dies to Obliterate. But I might be wrong; your version certainly seems reasonable.

I’d love to see an official ruling on this one, we have an offline tournament encroaching =P

2 Likes

I believe Metalize’s interpretation is correct. If declaring an attack occurred before declaring a target for the attack, then Obliterate should claim its victims before an attack target gets selected, meaning there would be no need to retarget. But, the description in the rulebook says “If the first thing you attacked is now gone, you may select a new thing to attack.”

3 Likes

You do have to exhaust Vandy. You’ll get the Obliterate and Voidblocker triggers at the same time after attacking Voidblocker, then Obliterate will let you pick a different target after it kills Voidblocker.

5 Likes

Is it possible to add some description about Chaos Mirror to codexcarddb.Com?

There are a lot of tricky interactions with dragon, polymorph and midbanding heroes that are not clear from rules or ccdb.com