[PS] Forum Quick Matches - Sign Ups Always Open!

Boogey2003 Vs. @Hobusu

Starting Bank:
It’s a Trap (-> Just a Scratch)
Knockdown (-> Ouch!)
Thinking Ahead
Blues Are Good
Chip Damage
Sneak Attack
Combinatorics
Gems to Gemonade (-> Recklessness)
Pick Your Poison
Combos Are Hard

:chibijaina: :psfist: :pschip: :chibijaina: (It’s a Trap -> Just a Scratch)
:chibijaina: :psfist: :pschip: :chibijaina: (Gems to Gemonade > Recklessness)
:chibijaina: :pschip: :psfist: :chibijaina: (Jaina > Onimaru)
:chibionimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :chibijaina: (Knockdown > Ouch!)
:chibionimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :chibijaina:

GGs @Hobusu! i don’t have the in-depth analysis skills of @Bucky, so i can’t figure out specifically what happened (also i haven’t watched the replays yet), but it was a lot of fun! this time, i decided to go for the character counter-pick (unlike last time against @Skiff), and it payed off! (also, did i do this report right? is it considered rude to @ people other than my opponent?)

2 Likes

My “in-depth analysis” uses the replays, so that’s a good starting point. It’s a good idea to watch the replays from your opponent’s perspective.

3 Likes

PS Ranked, Week 13: variable vs. ZenDog…

variable wins, 3-0.

Starting Bank:

Bang then Fizzle (still one of my favorite chips in the freaking game!)
It’s a Trap (gosh, this chip seems annoying.)
Repeated Jabs (sometimes does punchies - sometimes stays at the market for safekeeping.)
Color Panic (not even once - a mistake?)
Risk to Riskonade (should’ve done something; sadly there weren’t extra action givers besides Improv, though.)
Sneak Attack (idk)
Improvisation (I bought this once when I shouldn’t have.)
Stolen Purples (is OP)
Combos Are Hard (if ye say so)
Option Select (doesn’t exist)

:chibidegrey::pscrash::pschip::troq:: A lot of traps are laid, and then Troq’s only Crash gets nabbed! :scream_cat: In the ensuing chaos, the noble beast’s rising green gems are quite difficult to respond to!

:chibidegrey::pscrash::pschip::troq:: [Counterpick: Bang then Fizzle->One of Each] I originally made a joke here that was based on a false memory of the past, but, anyway, I was doing too many things with Bang then Fizzle and then that party… got crashed! :joy_cat: I try to feint at not setting traps, but it becomes part of the plan later on! I don’t think that they end up doing anything, though! :o I assemble a large gem thanks in part to Combos Are Hard (Untrue; they can be quite easy!) and send it over ZenDog’s way, before their Troq stabilized with his own copy of Combos Are Hard and solid chip draw/combines/crashes!

:chibidegrey::pscrash::pschip::troq:: [Counterpick: Stolen Purples->Roundhouse] Okay, hands off the purples for good! The party is fully closed now! However, I fully commit to not playing Hunter, or a children’s card game from Egypt called Duel Monsters and placing cards in Face-Down Set Position and it works out. I focus on my economy in the early game, and drop in some slight disruption when my chips are less chipper than usual! I manage to send a heck of gems just in time for them to be hard if not impossible to remove… And, they are - so I’m able to take this match!

Thanks for playing @ZenDog! I’m sorry that I lost track of time and got to our match late! I hope that ye game night was fun! I look forward to playing ye again!

Week 14 standings

:psfist: Active Roster

Silver League (10+ :star:)

Player Points
Bucky :star:

Bronze League (0+ :star:)

Player Points
Boogey2003 :star:
variable :star:
Hobusu
ZenDog

:knockdown: Inactive Roster

Full List

Player Points
Skiff

Player Points
Bomber678 :star::star::star::star:
Feebs
Proven

Week 14 matches

Boogey2003/variable
Boogey2003 ━┓
            ┡━ Boogey2003 ─┐
Hobusu ─────┘              │
                           ├─
variable ━━━┓              │
            ┡━ variable ───┘
ZenDog ─────┘
Bucky/Hobusu
Bucky ──┐
        ├─
Hobusu ─┘

I’m going to have to back out again after this week’s match, I won’t have much time for about a month or so.

1 Like

@vengefulpickle, please deactivate my ranked Strike-ise~ privileges after this week! Thank ye!! I’ll probably return one day… :smiley_cat:

Boogey2003 vs. @variable

starting bank:
Ebb or Flow
It’s a Trap
Now or Later
Sale Prices
Blues are Good
Recklessness
Combinatorics
Hundred-Fist Frenzy
Pick Your Poison (-> The Hammer)
One of Each

:chibionimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :chibirook: this one was close, but on all of the occasions that rook could’ve died he had the right chips to keep himself alive, and eventually i got caught when i didn’t. i haven’t looked at the replays yet, so i’m not 100% sure what went wrong here other than “all of my attempts to kill him failed”, but my best guess is that i didn’t buy enough combines.

:chibionimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :chibirook: (Pick Your Poison -> The Hammer) here i got pretty badly beaten, and i’m not completely sure why (might look at the replay to dive into it deeper), but my best guess is too much money, not enough purples.

:chibisetsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :chibirook: (Onimaru -> Setsuki) i figured that sale prices and the hammer are both good chips for sets, and that those chips could overcome rook being a rushdown character vs. an econ character. i was wrong. as it turns out, rook has A LOT of combining power early in the game! i was able to survive long enough to buy the hammer, but i hadn’t bought a crash gem the entire game (probably since i was used to having double slash), so i couldn’t survive long enough to use the hammer.

morals of the story are:

1. i under-estimated purples and didn’t buy enough of them (both oni and sets being reliant on getting early puzzle chips probably didn’t help).
  2. i don’t know how to fight rook appearently.

regardless, ggs to variable! hopefully i can not get 3-0ed next time.

3 Likes

Bucky 3-1 Hobusu

:chibilum: :knockdown: :psfist: :chibijaina:
:chibilum: :psfist: :knockdown: :chibijaina:

Initial Bank:
Knockdown
Repeated Jabs
Color Panic
Gem Essence
Combinatorics (-> Training Day)
Iron Defense
Pick Your Poison
Mix Master
Stolen Purples (-> Combinatorics)
Custom Combo

Game 1: I bought a crash on turn 1 vs. a combine -> Combinatorics opening. This turned out to be a really bad idea as I stole a second crash anyway, but fell behind on combining without an actual combine. So Hobusu tood the game decisively off a 2x Combine -> Unstable Power combo with Combinatorics up.

I had a high% opportunity to crash for the win on turn 4, which I missed when I chose to Color Panic away a Combine instead. I had a similar but less probable opportunity on turn 8 vs. a bottom bagged Unstable Power.

(CP1: Combinatorics out, Training Day in. I wanted access to real combines without dropping Bargain, and didn’t want to be on the wrong end of that combo again.)

Game 2: I bought two Stolen Purples on my first two turns and got Hobusu’s crash right away with one and his combine later with the other. Hobusu spams a single Repeated Jabs on top of Color Panics. Since he doesn’t Unstable Power early and has no remaining :pscrash:s, I catch him shields-down with a 2-crash with Unstable Power in the discard.

Hobusu had an outside chance to win on turn 6 with Color Panic fork -> Unstable Power -> Burning Vigor, but like me chose to force purple discards instead of going for the low% win attempt.

(CP2: Stolen Purples out, Combinatorics back in - presumably spooked by that opening)

Game 3: Hobusu does a slower opening, buying a :ps3gem: instead of a second combine. My turn 3 Mix Master shadows the combine all game, undoing it each time. I took the game with a medium win% (~3/8) 4-crash on turn 6, but even if Hobusu had the Unstable Power to survive, he would have been under a lot of pressure with a wound-loaded deck.

(CP3: Mix Master out, Recklessness in, apparently intending to get more mileage from Vigor.)

Game 4: Hobusu starts with a disruptive rush - combine, knockdown, color panic - and supplements it with a wound buy into Burning Vigor for the first time this series. I choose a more economic start with Gem Essence and double Training Day, but use the training to get to 3 Color Panics first. This lets me clean the purples out of his hand on turn 6, while also tapping him from 8 to 9 pile with a minicrash.

That would never have worked, though, if Hobusu hadn’t been Playing with Fire on his own turn 6.

4 Likes

Friendly reminder to future opponents, this is part of the counterpick rules:

You cannot switch in a stack that was previously switched out during the match.

1 Like

Week 15 standings

Player Points
Bucky :star::star::star:

Player Points
Boogey2003
ZenDog

Full List

Player Points
Skiff

Player Points
variable :star::star::star:
Feebs
Hobusu
Proven

Week 15 matches

Boogey2003/ZenDog
Boogey2003 ─┐
            ├─
ZenDog ─────┘

Boogey2003 vs. @ZenDog

Starting Bank:
Sale Prices (-> It’s a Trap)
Thinking Ahead (-> Self-Improvement)
Button Mashing
Gem Essence
One True Style
One-Two Punch
Stolen Purples (->Roundhouse)
Punch, Punch, Kick
Custom Combo
The Hammer

:chibisetsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :chibitroq: so immediately when looking at the set, i thought Sets would be great for it, since sale prices and the hammer are both really good chips for her and there some other nice engine-building chips, and gem essence can help with the fact that Sets can’t thin her deck otherwise. what ends up happening is that i’m doing pretty well on econ, and then stolen purples + a fork kills me (that combo is really brutal).

:chibisetsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :chibitroq: (Stolen Purples -> Roundhouse) Stolen Purples was making going after DCGs weaker and allowing Troq to kill me with it, while it wasn’t doing that much for me, so i switched it out for a powerful engine building tool. as normal, Setsuki + Sale Prices = pretty crazy early econ, which allowed me to get quite a few early Roundhouses. for a while after that, both of us were playing scared and just doing everything we could to stay alive, until eventually i picked up a DCG and (only a turn later) a couple combines and i gained A LOT of power and control, letting me close out the game.

:chibisetsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :chibitroq: (Sale Prices -> It’s a Trap) at this point, there aren’t really any good Double-Take targets, basically making it a wound, and as it turns out, when you make your opponent’s best character chip into a wound, they become pretty weak! i tried to go for the hammer, got too much money, not enough defense, died.

:chibijaina: :psfist: :pschip: :chibitroq: (Setsuki -> Jaina) so, with Sale Prices gone, Sets was no longer a good pick due to basically being stuck with a wound in Double-Take. i could’ve switched in another, slightly worse Double-Take target, but i decided that CPing Troq with Jaina was a better option. i was pretty rusty on Jaina and did a pretty slow “rushdown” (i think? maybe my sense of average rush speed is off) with a lot of weird chips and odd choices, but it still worked. at one point when ZenDog was placing a trap, he mentioned it was a “tough choice”, so @ZenDog , i’d be curious to know why that choice was difficult for you and what options you were considering (he ended up trapping crash gems, which confused me a little).

:chibijaina: :psfist: :pschip: :chibitroq: (Thinking Ahead -> Self-Improvement) this was a pretty standard rushdown game; i got as many combines as i could, then i killed my opponent. there were some decisions from ZenDog that i’m a bit confused about though; first of all, the CP. i don’t know how Thinking Ahead was helping Jaina here, and i don’t know how Self-Improvement helps Troq here. in ZenDog’s position, i probably would’ve swapped One True Style for Ebb or Flow. additionally, ZenDog decided to trap 4 gems, which also seemed weird; Jaina has no interest in buying 4s as a hard rushdown character, while Troq can still use them for Giant’s Growth. i probably would’ve trapped either One True Style or combine here (and in the last game, for that matter), since although Troq may want them, Jaina really wants them, often.

GGs ZenDog! it was a really fun set! i have a couple of criticisms of your play though (note: this game is extremely hard to play, and ZenDog still took 2 games off me, so i’m not trying to say ZenDog is bad or anything; i just want to give him some places to try and improve in):

1. your use of It’s a Trap seemed pretty odd to me; it’s a very hard chip to use well of course, since it requires a lot of thinking from your opponent’s perspective, but i think trapping Roundhouses against Sets and either combines or One True Styles against Jaina would’ve been the best options.
  2. i found it weird that you were taking Punch, Punch, Kicks over Roundhouses; IIRC, you ended up with excess black arrows in some later games due to that (but i might be mis-remembering). they’re both really good chips, and if you were having arrow problems that i didn’t know about, your decisions could be understandable, but IMO, Roundhouse is generally better, especially when you have multiple.

anyways, i’d like to hear your thought process on the games, if you would have time to write it up @ZenDog . GGs!

2 Likes

Nice write-up, thanks for the critique. Points seem valid, I’ll work on tightening those strategies up!

2 Likes

Regarding Trap targets, single-trapping combine is likely to backfire when Troq needs combines and Jaina sometimes double-buys combine+wound anyway. Boogey2003 might want more combines, but ZenDog is hurt a lot worse by wounds. Trapping 4s is basically a blank trap to get rid of the chip.

One approach he could have taken would be to trap wounds a bunch. This means Jaina can’t fine-tune her wound density, she either has no wounds or too many.

that’s a fair counter-argument, but it would still slow down my rush in the immediate and give Troq a chance to recover and develop, which is what he really needed IMO. Jaina also generally only buys wounds really early, since (most of the time) they’d have a good chance of back-firing by her not getting burning vigor when she needs it, and she might already have wound supply from an Unstable Power mini-crash for money (and if she is buying wounds any later, it’s still not nearly as many as a trapped combine would give her). it does have downsides and risks, but it also has some merits. the wound option would almost definitely be better than 4s, but i don’t buy wounds often when i play Jaina, so it wouldn’t make a big difference either way, and i think Troq probably needed a big difference to win there. the other option i mentioned, One True Style, seems much less likely to backfire than combine, but also like less of a problem (but still a problem!) for me, so it’s kind of a neutral option. this actually seems like a quite a debatable choice.

something i forgot to mention in my first post is that, on the last counter-pick, Onimaru might’ve been a good choice for ZenDog to try and counter me. WTT options seem decent, granted not amazing here (coming from someone with very little experience with Oni; maybe i’m mis-evaluating WTT here), the set isn’t that good for Jaina (although not bad either), and Oni counters Jaina pretty well. i don’t know if ZenDog plays Onimaru (if he doesn’t, then the One True Style -> some defensive thing (probably Ebb or Flow) would probably still be best), but if ZenDog does play Oni, i think that would’ve been a good consideration.

i still haven’t watched the replays from ZenDog’s perspective, so i can’t give super in-depth criticism of his play, these were all just the things i noticed from memory + a quick skim through my side of the replays.

Week 16 standings

Player Points
Bucky :star::star::star:

Player Points
Boogey2003 :star:
ZenDog

Full List

Player Points
Skiff

Player Points
Feebs
Hobusu
Proven

Week 16 matches

Boogey2003/Bucky
Boogey2003 ━┓
            ┡━ Boogey2003 ─┐
ZenDog ─────┘              │
                           ├─
Bucky ━━━━━━┓              │
            ┡━ Bucky ──────┘
Hobusu ─────┘
1 Like

Boogey2003 2 < 3 Bucky
:chibijaina: :knockdown: :psfist: :chibirook:
:chibionimaru: :psfist: :knockdown: :chibirook:
:chibionimaru: :knockdown: :psfist: :chibirook:

Bank:
Knockdown (-> It’s Combo Time)
Chip Damage
Recklessness
Risk to Riskonade
Combinatorics
Self Improvement
Axe Kick
Option Select
Degenerate Trasher
Master Puzzler (-> Stolen Purples -> Secret Move)

-=====-
Game 1
-=====-
Boogey’s Jaina is slow to buy her first combine, getting Chip Damage and Knockdown instead. I get mine on turn 1. So, despite my plan misfiring a bit - drawing the Combine off my first Stone Wall and then bottom bagging it on the next cycle - the Rook rush still beat the Jaina rush to the punch. She barely survived the first 4-crash with a defensive Unstable Power, but couldn’t also handle the 2-crash the following turn.

Counterpick: Jaina -> Onimaru, presumably to obtain the defense-over-rush triangle advantage.

-=====-
Game 2
-=====-
My Self Improvement opening neuters Boogey’s Chip Damage opening. I pull way ahead on economy, reaching a dominant position after buying a DCG without ever being under too much threat. But I run into some terrible bottom-bag luck, bottoming my crash, Stone Wall and DCG together one cycle and all my combines the next. This lets Boogey catch up on pile control enough that I can blunder the game away, which I do by reacting to a Knockdown with an Option Select Self Improvement. Had I used it as a Combine instead, I’d be 100% live. But the Self Improvement drew me no pile control (~25% chance) so the follow-up double slash killed me exactly.

Counterpick: Knockdown -> It’s Combo Time, to shift the game more towards economy since I’d demonstrated superiority in the econ game.

-=====-
Game 3
-=====-
We both choose big money strategies into It’s Combo Time, but I get there first because of Big Rocks despite diverting for a defensive Crash gem. Boogey doesn’t escalate further, trying to end the game with Option Select and combines. I continue ramping into a DCG and then Master Puzzler. Master Puzzler > no Master Puzzler, especially with both Riskonade and Combinatorics available.

Counterpick: Master Puzzler -> Stolen Purples

-=====-
Game 4
-=====-
I have no real choice but to play into the Stolen Purples. Though I hedge with It’s Combo Time and later Self Improvement, the real countermeasure is Option Select and I can’t afford to keep rebuying it. I lose to a WTT(Recklessness) -> Stolen Purples -> Crash combo.

Counterpick: Stolen Purples -> Secret Move; Getting rid of Stolen Purples is mandatory. I replace it with a variance-reducer since I felt like my other loss was to variance.

-=====-
Game 5
-=====-
We both open with money and no combines - Boogey supplements his with Recklessness while I get Secret Move. This time, when I Strength of Earth for pile height bonuses, he decides to try to pressure me with Double Slash. But I fearlessly buy It’s Combo Time on turn 4 anyway. When his potentially lethal crash next turn ran into Stone Wall, I was set for the rest of the game, riding the pile height bonus, increasing the tempo with Strength of Earth -> ICT, and using Secret Move to space out my :pspurpleshield:s including a DCG.

2 Likes

nice write up @Bucky! i’m going to give my own perspective now (it’s long, i ended up making quite the wall of text and i may have gone overboard, but there’s a “takeaways” section at the end as a sort of TL;DR):

:chibijaina: :knockdown: :psfist: :chibirook:

Bank:
Knockdown (-> It’s Combo Time)
Chip Damage
Recklessness
Risk to Riskonade
Combinatorics
Self Improvement
Axe Kick
Option Select
Degenerate Trasher
Master Puzzler (-> Stolen Purples -> Secret Move)

Game 1: here i think i made a significant mistake on the second turn; i bought a Chip Damage, when i could’ve either bought a 2 (more combines later) or crashed to buy a combine, both of which would’ve probably been better. from there my money just didn’t line up well and i couldn’t get my hands on combines fast enough, and also i had bought a wound earlier that i drew twice before being able to burning vigor it, which slowed me down, then i lost before i could make up for that stuff. also, i don’t really know how to play against Rook as Jaina (or anyone really, but especially Jaina), which probably didn’t help.

Game 2: (Jaina -> Onimaru) i CP to Onimaru because it gives me a triangle advantage against Rook (at least in theory) and this MU seems more straight-forward and intuitive than Jaina vs. Rook to me (could be completely wrong there). what i forgot to consider was the bank; looking at it in retrospect, it’s not horrible for Oni, but not very good either, but Oni is pretty good in general, so i’m still happy with my CP (also, i had no clue what chips could be good to switch for Jaina vs. Rook, so a character CP made the most sense).
in the actual game, i think i mostly just tried not to die and hoped Bucky would eventually not have an answer to my Double Slash/mini-crash pressure. eventually, Bucky blunders and loses.

Game 3: (Knockdown -> It’s Combo Time) this CP just makes a lot of sense; i was using Knockdown a decent amount off WTT (Wartime Tactics) while Bucky wasn’t using it at all and it’s generally better for Oni since it benefits Double Slash a lot and he can use WTT to get it without crowding his deck, meanwhile Rook already has a lot of combining power and can just get uncounterable 4s. Rook has a better econ than Oni (especially in a bank with no money-giving puzzle chips), so an expensive chip makes sense. going into the actual match, this is mostly just “Big Rocks out econs someone with no econ chips, econ leads to Master Puzzler, Master Puzzler is crazy good if you can afford it”, but looking through the replays, i think i make some weird, bad plays, which didn’t help. if i had a chance to win, it was probably through trying to close out the game more quickly and playing less economically. (also, i bought It’s Combo Time and never got to use it except for when i was already dead, so that wasn’t good. i WTTed off of it once, but just getting an option select would’ve done the same job better there.)

Game 4: (Master Puzzler -> Stolen Purples) at this point i’ve realized that Rook has a much better econ game than Oni, so i want to remove Master Puzzler as a huge pay-off for that econ. i switch in Stolen Purples for a couple reasons:

1. i heard somewhere that Stolen Purples is really good for Oni, and in my experience, that’s true.
  2. it makes Chip Damage lead to something, which i think is slightly better for me than Bucky since i can WTT into Chip Damage and i might want it to enable WTT. (this point is smaller)

the other option i was considering was Dashing Strike, but i think Stolen Purples was a lot better.
in the game, i win mostly off of the Stolen Purples CP working out really well. i steal a lot of combines early, defanging a decent amount of Rook’s early pressure and giving myself some nice defense, and although i’m in danger at some points despite how many combines i stole, eventually i WTT for Recklessness > Stolen Purples > Crash and it kills (it was supposed to just be a survival play actually; i didn’t realize the offensive implications until i had already made the play).

Game 5: (Stolen Purples -> Secret Move) removing Stolen Purples is really good; i’ve been abusing it while Bucky couldn’t make any use of it, and it was the biggest reason i won that game. swapping in Secret Move isn’t flashy, but it’s still good; it’s a cheap chip that doesn’t benefit WTT much, and it makes Axe Kick slightly better, which Rook is more likely to be able to afford with his superior econ. on turn 1, i make a major mistake; i buy Recklessness, then pig WTT (with Riposte), and then don’t even play WTT the next turn since i need the crash money to buy a 2. i think literally any other 3 cost chip would’ve been MUCH better than Recklessness here; 2 gem is just a solid first turn buy in general, Chip Damage is fine early as well (although the red arrow being useless makes it worse), and even Risk to Riskonade can still be used in the combo of WTT for Recklessness > Risk to Riskonade > Combine (once i get one) > Crash for an early 4 crash. but instead of any of those, i buy Recklessness in an attempt to force WTT when it doesn’t make any sense to (the only good 3 cost WTT target here is Recklessness i think, or situationally Chip Damage), and i just end up buying a chip that’s bad in the early game on turn 1. if i were to try this opening again, i probably would’ve gone for a 2, or if i was feeling brave, Risk to Riskonade followed by a combine on the next turn (but that might leave me too low on money to be worth it). afterwards, Bucky gets a rush going pretty quickly and it kills me. i might have to look at this replay closer to see exactly what went wrong other than the Recklessness buy, Bucky seemed to have a very strong offense online pretty quickly, which might’ve just been luck of the draw, but it might also be something i should look at closer. i think i was disrupting Bucky in all of the other games (Knockdown/Chip Damage/Stolen Purples), but not this one, so that might’ve been it. Bucky also seemed to be getting a lot more height bonus than me. basically, there was a lot i probably could’ve done better this game (this might’ve been my worst game of the set in number of mistakes).

Overall: i noticed that i didn’t feel a strong “sense of direction” this game… like, i was never really sure what i was even doing, which is probably indicative that i need to get a better sense of what chips are generally good for Onimaru. also, i noticed that i wasn’t paying a ton of attention to my opponent aside from where their purples are, which might be something i want to work on.

Takeaways:

1. i probably need more practice with Onimaru to figure what exactly his game-plan is and what options support it.
  2. i need to pay more attention to what my opponent is buying and exploit that.
  3. i need to figure out how to play against Rook more.
  4. i need to make sure i don’t auto-pilot! the awful Recklessness buy in the 5th game was mostly under the assumption that getting WTT online is always good, but in this case, it wasn’t. i probably made some other bad plays as well due to forgetting to think/auto-piloting.

anyways, GGs @Bucky! it was fun set, and i’m happy to even just take 2 games off you (even if one was due to a blunder)!

2 Likes

Week 17 standings

SuperSilver League (15+ :star:)

Player Points
Bucky :star:

Player Points
Boogey2003
ZenDog

Full List

Player Points
Skiff

Player Points
Feebs
Hobusu
Proven

Week 17 matches

Boogey2003/ZenDog
Boogey2003 ─┐
            ├─
ZenDog ─────┘

Boogey2003 vs. @ZenDog
ZenDog wins 2-3!

Bank:
Knockdown
Repeated Jabs
Button Mashing
Recklessness
Chips for Free
Axe Kick
One of Each
Combos Are Hard
X-Copy
It’s Combo Time (-> Iron Defense)

:chibimidori: :pschip: :psfist: :chibivendetta:
i didn’t get any combines early, and didn’t really crash enough, so i eventually died to surgical strike throwing away my DCG > Knockdown > DCG for the kill (Combos Are Hard gave both of us DCGs). i could’ve picked up a combine first turn, but got a 3 instead, so that was probably my biggest downfall here (but i also just didn’t crash enough too, i think).

:chibimidori: :pschip: :psfist: :chibivendetta:
[It’s Combo Time -> Iron Defense] i didn’t really know what to CP here, so i just got rid of a chip that Midori sometimes has trouble using effectively (due to Purge Bad Habits-ing away all of his :ps1gem:s) for a chip Midori can use to get purples through dragon form. the CP i should’ve made was Midori -> Onimaru, but i didn’t think of it at the time since i hadn’t fought Vendetta before.

in the match, it’s going pretty normally and smoothly until i keep Dragon Form up a turn longer than i should’ve, and then die. worth noting: i also buy Combos Are Hard later than i should’ve in this match. the only other buys i could’ve made that could save me while Dragon Form was out were Button Mashing or Recklessness though, which both would’ve been inefficient money-wise and would probably only make sense if i could see the future, so the Combos Are Hard buy, although it was bad, didn’t really end up mattering.

other than just being less greedy with Dragon Form, what i probably should’ve done here is bought/played more Crashes (ideally buying real ones, not just Iron Defenses) to counter Ven’s killing power.

:chibionimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :chibivendetta:
[Midori -> Onimaru] i realize that i need a character CP in order to deal with Ven, and it seemed like Onimaru would be a good option, so i went for it. if i had done this CP before, i would’ve been able to CP in Stolen Purples later, which would be a big advantage for Oni, so it sucks that i overlooked this option initially.

when ZenDog sees the MU, he decides it’s probably unwinnable and just concedes. :man_shrugging:

:chibionimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :chibivendetta:
[No CP] so, it seems like a glitch happened where ZenDog’s CP didn’t go through, so he conceded, but decided we should count it (i was advocating against counting it)… i’ll take it?

:chibionimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :chibibbb:
[Vendetta -> BBB] here, things are going normally until ZenDog manages to set up an extremely powerful attack (6 gems sent with Knockdown, starting the turn with only a :ps2gem: and five :ps1gem:s in his pile) that kills me from 5 pile height. i would’ve had to play extremely conservatively for the entire game up to that point in order to be able to survive it guaranteed, but i didn’t, and then, the draws didn’t pan out for me to defend anyways, so i died. if i was paying more attention to ZenDog, i could’ve noticed that he was pigging a DCG for a while and played a bit safer, but by the time i could’ve known that, it still wouldn’t be enough to guarantee survival (although i could’ve made it more likely that i could survive, it still wouldn’t have been enough).

Takeaways:

1. i still need to pay more attention to what my opponent is doing. if i looked at what ZenDog was doing more in the 5th game, i could’ve potentially prepared more and survived it (and also, it’s just generally good to know what your opponent pigged if you can, which i haven’t been watching out for enough).

2. i need to be more aware of Vendetta’s killing power when fighting him. you need to play very conservatively (or buy a ton of crashes) in order to deal with your crash getting Surgical Strike-ed out of your hand at critical times, especially since Acrobatics gives him a built-in way to Surgical Strike > Crash.

3. (for ZenDog) don’t give up too early! as bad as the Ven vs. Oni MU is for Ven, it’s still not completely hopeless (i’d imagine at least, but i don’t have experience in the MU). even if the chance to win is only something like 20% (which i doubt, it’s almost definitely higher), that’s still 1/5 Ven vs. Oni games you could win if you don’t give up too early. (i guess i can understand if you’re super tight on time (which AFAIK ZenDog wasn’t), but in that case, why are you playing your quick match when you’re super tight on time? i mean, i know it’s called a quick match, but still. was there actually no better time that worked for your opponent?)

anyways, GGs! (also, sorry it took so long for me to write this up, i’ve been getting lazier lately, i need to work on it.)

N.B. for statisticians, Game 4 was not played.