Matchup Database

I’m working right now on getting Lum’s summary formatting right. Unfortunately, it’s involving a bit of rework in all of the characters, so it’s taking some time.

1 Like

So, I’ve renamed it to persephone.jsx, but it still isn’t working. I’m sorry for messing everything up! At least the site can keep running with the previous, non-broken code… :sweat_smile: :disappointed_relieved:

Hah! No worries. I think it’s actually just still building. It takes a few minutes after you make a change for it to update the main site.

I just told it to restart the build, but it had given me an error before that. Looking at it now, it’s throwing an error again…

Ah, yes, I see the issue. It doesn’t like it when strings have a ' a string surrounded by '. The easiest thing is to just replace ' with " around any strings that have apostrophes in them.

1 Like

Oh, that must be from copying the abilities. Should’ve thought to check that… I’ve clearly forgotten everything from my CS classes. I’ll fix it myself, if that’s OK – I’d like the experience.

Go for it.

…Well, I’ve fixed the ability text, but it’s still giving me an error. Any more ideas?

Edit: I’ve realized that somehow the T ability is there twice instead of Mistress’s Command. Maybe that’s causing it?

The error in the last build is here: Travis CI - Test and Deploy Your Code with Confidence

1 Like

Ah, I see. I’ll fix that and the problem I noticed.

Success! It ran without errors this time, and after waiting a few seconds, I can now load her on the matchup page! Thanks for being so patient with me.

Anyway, just in case you missed it (and also because adding a character changed it), here’s the progress summary I made in an earlier post:

Progress Summary

Characters that have been added: 15/20
:grave: :midori: :rook: :valerie: :lum:
:jaina: :setsuki: :degrey: :geiger: :argagarg:

:quince: :negative_squared_cross_mark: :menelker: :negative_squared_cross_mark: :negative_squared_cross_mark:
:negative_squared_cross_mark: :troq: :persephone: :gwen: :negative_squared_cross_mark:

Characters yet to be added: 5/20
:white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
:white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:

:white_check_mark: :bbb: :white_check_mark: :gloria: :vendetta:
:onimaru: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :zane:

Features yet to be added:

• Special display for Lum and Onimaru’s pumpable moves in character summary (in progress)
  • Lum’s normal throws are shown correctly in the move list, but don’t show damage in the summary
  • Onimaru will need his normal attacks to have fixed base damage and variable pump damage, whereas his throws need the opposite (at least the latter can be reused from Lum)
  • Character-specific background colors
  • Selectable alternate versions of characters
  • EX versions of all characters
  • 1st Edition versions of non-Shadows characters
  • G. Panda for Lum
  • Deathstrike Dragon for Menelker
  • “Character Select” interface for picking characters?
  • Visual recognition helps to quickly find a character
  • Removes 1 click per character
  • Don’t know if it’s feasible to make, and probably low priority compared to other things, but would be cool!

Thoughts on adding the remaining characters

:onimaru: Onimaru:
Only difficulty I see is getting his normal attacks to work with the template. His throws use the same format as Lum’s throws, so that won’t be a problem since you’re going to get that working soon, right? :wink:

:bbb: Bal-Bas-Beta:
I hope you like adding a new column for range, because that’s how Sirlin Games handled it on the physical BBB reference card and I see no better way… The good news is that it looks like you don’t have to make every move on every other character display “close.” You just hide that column if BBB isn’t picked and automatically show “close” for moves that don’t specify if BBB is picked. I guess you could use the “notes” column for it, but a dedicated column seems better to me. You’ll also have to show that BBB’s normal attacks get speed 1.0 when at long range, so maybe that’s what you use the notes column for?

:gloria: Gloria:
Nothing out of the ordinary. Feels weird to say that about Gloria, but her stats and abilities don’t break the existing format in any way…

:vendetta: Vendetta:
Technically this can be done with regular stats and abilities, but the speed change for K on knockdown was significant enough to be shown in a special way on the cards, so it probably needs an icon for the Notes column. Other than that, he’s notable for having three different named moves on what would otherwise be normal attacks and throws, but that’s just a little more busy-work.

:zane: Zane:
Last but not least, the Notes column should show that his normal attacks speed up when the opponent is knocked down. The physical Zane reference card also makes special note that K is uninterruptible, so maybe bring attention to that too? Meaty Attacks is more important, of course.

Thoughts on alternate versions of characters

I think the EX versions of the characters should be part of the normal character data. The only differences between an EX character and a regular character are:

• New innate (toggling EX would swap from default to EX)
  • Additional “Destiny” rank (would be invisible by default; toggling EX would make it visible)
  • For BBB only, increased HP (again, could be toggled easily)

There’s definitely not enough changes to warrant a separate page for them. I’d also argue that many of the same arguments apply to the 1st Edition changes, G. Panda, and the Deathstrike Dragon, but I could be persuaded to have them be separate. It just seems natural for everything about a character to be on one page, since most of these changes are fairly small.

I need to get to bed for tonight, but I’m enjoying working on this (maybe too much, considering I felt the need to collapse a wall of text into three pieces). We’re 3/4 of the way to being done with the main cast!

1 Like

Yeah, I saw that. I like your idea for the character picker (and am planning on copying the checklist up to the top post).

I also agree that the variants can just be on the same page (no need to enter all of the data multiple times).

Thanks for all your thoughts and help!

2 Likes

Alrighty, I’ve fixed up Lum last night. Onimaru should work the same way.

2 Likes

I’ve submitted a pull request for Onimaru just so you can make sure I didn’t mess anything up with him. I think I understood the format, but it probably won’t be too hard for you to fix any issues.

1 Like

Looks good. I added a commit to your branch adding him to characters.js, and if that passes, I’ll merge.

Merged! (I had to make a few minor edits).

1 Like

Looking at it now, neither his normal attacks nor his throws are displaying that they can be pumped, and his normal attacks are showing damage equal to their rank instead of 10.

Hrm, indeed. I’ll pull it down and debug locally. I’m nearly done w/ image-select, though.

1 Like

Image selection is live!

2 Likes

Wow, it’s better than I thought it would be! A couple notes:

• It still uses the dropdown menus for mobile, which I assume was intentional. That’s fine, but worth noting for anyone who uses mobile so they won’t be surprised.
  • You can now do mirror matches! Except on mobile. I’m conflicted on whether to keep mirrors, since they could be helpful for comparing 1st and 2nd edition but they might not work well with my next suggestion…
  • It’s a bit weird to see only half of the frame for a selected character. If someone were to edit the “selected” portraits to have a blue border, could you use that for player 2 and the original red for player 1? This could also work with the character specific background colors if you have a red border around p1 info and a blue border around p2 info.